Everyone is on a budget these days, and one of the best places to find cheap guitar is on Amazon. The great news is: you don’t even have to compromise on quality. You can find top quality guitars from legendary brands, and that’s exactly what I’m going to present below.
So if you’re a guitarist on a budget, this is the article for you. Check out my three favorite cheap guitars on Amazon that don’t suck below:
1. Yamaha FG830 Solid Top Folk Guitar
This awesome Yamaha instrument was actually my very first acoustic guitar, so I’m a little bit biased here! But hey, that means I can recommend it first hand, unlike 99% of guitar review articles you see on the internet.
But Yamaha’s FG series has been around since 1966. The series was introduced with the vision of producing powerhouse acoustic guitars that didn’t need to cost a fortune. The Yamaha FG830 lives up to this legacy.
Yamaha FG830 Standout Specs:
- Booming low to mid range
- Solid sitka spruce top
- High quality wood, parts, and craftsmanship
- Long legacy and history (over 50 years!) of quality and innovation
This acoustic guitar features a solid sitka spruce top, which produces a beautifully warm and complex tone. The 800 series is famous for its loud and strong sound in the low to mid ranges – meaning this guitar produces excellent volume and sustain.
If you really want to maximize the bang for your buck you can even get this guitar in a starter kit, with case, tuners, strings and more included:
The FG830 still packs the volume and sustain you need, offering loud and strong sound in the low and mid-ranges. It also comes in a variety of colors. I truly believe this is the best acoustic guitar at this price point and still one of my favorite guitars I own.
Here’s a video of me playing some bluegrass on my Yamaha FG830! Check it out:
2. Jasmine S34C NEX Acoustic Guitar
The Jasmine S34C NEX is a beautiful acoustic with an ergonomic Venetian cutaway, and priced at a level anyone can afford. It features a select laminate spruce top with Jasmine’s Advanced “X” Bracing, as well as sapele back and sides. Chrome tuners and full body binding round out this excellent beginner acoustic.
Jasmine S34C NEX Standout Specs:
- Spruce top
- Venetian cutaway allowing for upper fret access
- Smooth satin finish
- Unbeatable pricing
Jasmine has a long history of creating high quality instruments priced at an unbelievable value. The S34C NEX is no exception – and it plays, handles, and sounds like a much more expensive guitar. Great quality and awesome pricing make this a must have for anyone looking to add to, or start, their acoustic guitar collection.
3. Martin LX1E “Little Martin” Acoustic-Electric Guitar
Martin Guitars are perhaps the most legendary manufacturer of acoustic guitars. The Martin LX1E or “Little Martin” is the smallest guitar they make, but what it lacks in size it more than makes up for in tone and playability.
The Martin LXIE features a solid sitka spruce top, mahogany back and sides, and a very attractive warm satin finish. It’s size and versatility makes it a great budget acoustic guitar for travel, student practice, or jamming out around the campfire.
Martin LX1E Standout Specs:
- Solid sitka spruce top
- Martin quality and craftsmanship
- Ideal for travel
- Ideal for young guitarists, small hands, etc
The size of this guitar is actually an awesome advantage – it stows perfectly in your trunk or in overhead airplane compartments. It is one of the best guitars for air travel, or frequent travel in general. The shorter scale length also makes it ideal for young guitarists, or those with weak or small hands.
Ready to Get Better at Guitar, Faster?
Whenever you’re ready to take your guitar playing to the next level, check out my favorite resources below:
Elixir Nanoweb Acoustic Guitar Strings
- Unique polymer coating allows strings to last for months or years at a time, making for an exceptional value.
- Provide the perfect mix of boom, range, twang, and brightness that acoustic music is known for.
- Beloved by everyone from Paul Simon to Gordon Lightfoot, the D-18 is one of Martin’s most legendary guitars ever.
- An excellent, premier quality acoustic guitar for bluegrass, country, folk, rock and more. This is what I play myself.
Chords, Tabs & Lessons for 100 Songs
- This free guide from Acoustic World gives you chords, tabs, and video lesson for the 100 best songs to learn on guitar.
- I spent hours putting this together all by myself to help you get better at guitar, faster!
Fingerpicking vs Flatpicking Guitar
- Learn which picking style is right for YOU by exploring examples, history, and popular players of each style.
- Discover essential techniques and pros and cons of each approach.